You need to get online but do not know where to begin? You have an idea of the website that you would like to make but are having some difficulties trying to find a name? Don’t worry, a number of entrepreneurs have been in the same spot as you! Here are a few tips that have helped our users to find the perfect name for their website; we are happy to share them with you!
What are the qualities of a good website name?
Simple, concise and efficient: those are the qualities that you should look for when you are searching for a perfect domain name for your website. Here are a few more that will help you find a good and efficient website name:
- Short: Do not choose a name that is too long. The longer the name is, the more difficult it will be to remember it and to write it correctly. Beyond three words, the risk of making an error or creating confusion with another website will be quite high.
- Easy to remember: A name of a website should be easy to remember. The more it is identifiable and similar to well-known references or something logical will help users to remember you more easily. It will help you increase your chances to have your visitors come back to your website and to simply develop your visibility.
- Explicit: a website name can reflect what you do and help your audience understand what you offer. It is often the very first message that a user receives when they encounter your website. Just by understanding the activity behind your name can help users make a decision to visit and explore your website.
- Performant in SEO: the name of your website is your “brand” on the internet. It will be used by yourself and also by those who will talk about you and your website. It’s therefore wise to use a main keyword relevant to your activity in your name in order to have a good SEO ranking.
- Compatible “brand”: if you have the possibility to accumulate the tips from above without being in contradiction to your “brand”, go for it! If not, if you are like Heek, choose a solid slogan that is explicit, memorable, with a main keyword, and use it systematically with the name of your brand.
- Availability: The last thing that you need to take into account is to make sure that your name is available as a domain name, not only .com but in other specific extensions that are adapted to your career (.hotel etc). Your domain name can be slightly different to your brand name (without accents, space, special characters, etc.) but should clearly reference it.
If you want more information, we recommend you to read our article on Choosing a domain name: tips and advice to know more about what are good website names.
Because examples are worth more than giving out explanations, here are a few that will help you understand what are good website names:
- Tampa Cooper Yoga (tampa-cooper-yoga.com): this is a good domain name, it’s short, has important key words (Yoga and Tampa) which are explicit because we understand that the Yoga is practiced in Tamp, Florida. Finally it works well with their brand name which is “Cooper Yoga”.
- Matthias Finance (matthias-finance.com): short and simple but unfortunately not very explicit because finance is a large sector.
- Writeo: This is a brand name that can be difficult to understand. Using a good slogan such as “SEO copywriting and Consulting” can help.
- We can also find a name that plays well with being explicit and easy to remember, such as TechCrunch. It isn’t very efficient for SEO without a keyword, but is very easy to remember once the website and activity is discovered.
And to finish off, here are two fun tools that can be very helpful for you:
- Nomino: gives random names in 2, 3 or 4 syllables with the availability of the domain names. Not bad for some inspiration when we are starting from nothing.
- Panabee: give the tool just two words and it will give you a number of variables with the availabilities of the domain name.
It’s your turn!